Washington: The Supreme General launched a drone attack on Islamic State militants in Kabul on the enthusiastic final day of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan last month, and instead 10 civilians, including children. He admitted that he made a “mistake” when he killed him.
The strike was the eerie coder of the 20-year US war in Afghanistan, an IS operation suspected of having “reasonable certainty” aimed at US intelligence to attack Kabul Airport. Was intended to target the United States Central Army Commander Kenneth Mackenzie, said.
“The strike was a tragic mistake,” Mackenzie told reporters after the investigation.
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin apologized in a statement to relatives of those killed.
“We would like to express our deepest condolences to the surviving families of the murdered people,” Austin said in a statement.
“I apologize and I will try to learn from this horrific mistake,” he said.
McKenzie said the government is studying ways to pay damages to the families of the murdered people.
White Toyota Corolla
The general said on August 29, after the U.S. military saw it on the Kabul site, which information identified as a place where Islamic state operatives are believed to be preparing an attack on Kabul Airport, 8 He said he had chased white Toyota for hours.
Intelligence reports have led the U.S. military to monitor the white Toyota Corolla allegedly used by the group, he said.
“We chose this car based on movements in known target areas that we are interested in,” said Mackenzie.
“Obviously, our intelligence about this particular white Toyota was wrong,” he said.
According to Mackenzie, the drone strike killed 10 people, including 7 children, but no one was ultimately involved in IS.
Mackenzie defended US operations like a “self-defense strike” in fear of an attack on the airport during the last few days of a chaotic evacuation.
On August 26, a suicide bomber in Islamic State-Korasan killed a score at the airport, including 13 US military personnel. A large crowd was eager to board and embark on one of the last evacuation flights abroad.
“There were more than 60 clear threat vectors we were dealing with at this point,” Mackenzie said.
US officials believed that the car was loaded with explosives. The New York Times reported that it was filled with water canisters.
McKenzie said no civilians had been found in the area at the time the strike was approved.
One of the murderers was an Afghan who worked for the US aid group Ezmalai Ahmadhi.
“We now know that there was no relationship between Mr. Ahmadhi and ISIS-Korasan,” Austin said.
He said Ahmadhi’s activities that day were “totally harmless” and that the man was “as innocent as the tragic killing of others.”
Ahmadhi’s brother Amal told AFP that the car was full of children, pretending that the parking routine was an adventure.
“A rocket came and hit a car full of children in our house,” he said.
“It killed them all.”
“My brother and his four children were killed. I lost my little daughter … my nephew and niece,” he said rudely.
AFP was unable to verify Aimal’s account individually.
“On behalf of the Pentagon men and women, we would like to extend our deepest condolences to the surviving families of the murdered people, including Mr. Ahmadhi, and to the staff of Nutrition and Education International, Mr. Ahmadhi’s employer.” rice field.
According to a Brown University survey in April, more than 71,000 Afghan and Pakistani civilians were killed directly in the war initiated by the United States after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, followed by President Donald Trump’s involvement. After relaxing the rules, casualties increased dramatically.
The U.S. admits that a strike in Kabul killed 10 civilians rather than IS militants
Source link The U.S. admits that a strike in Kabul killed 10 civilians rather than IS militants