World

Rio de Janeiro’s annual carnival parade was canceled due to Omicron’s horror, the rising case

Rio de Janeiro canceled the world-famous carnival parade in its second year due to the increased number of cases of COVID-19 and the threat of the arrival of a variant of the Omicron coronavirus, the mayor said Tuesday.

Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes announced after a meeting with health authorities that the city will cancel an event that attracts hundreds of thousands of carnival delights each year.

“Street carnivals, by their very nature, are democratic and cannot be tested of any kind,” Paes said in a live internet broadcast.

Other Brazilian capitals have also canceled the carnival parade. Last week, the northeastern city of Salvador announced that it would not celebrate the event.

Belo Horizonte, the capital of the state of Minas Gerais, has also decided not to sponsor or invest in the street parade this year, local media reported.

The capital of Brazil’s wealthiest state, São Paulo, plans to move the street parade to the city’s Interlagos Formula One Race Track, the Folha de São Paulo newspaper reported.

In Brazil, cases of COVID-19 infection are increasing again. On Tuesday, the Ministry of Health reported 18,759 new cases of coronavirus in the last 24 hours and 175 deaths from COVID-19. Approximately 170 cases of Omicron have been confirmed in Japan, an increase from 32 cases just two weeks ago.

Read all the latest news, latest news, coronavirus news here.

Rio de Janeiro’s annual carnival parade was canceled due to Omicron’s horror, the rising case

Source link Rio de Janeiro’s annual carnival parade was canceled due to Omicron’s horror, the rising case

Related Articles

Back to top button