World

Pentagon backtracks say Kabul drones make “tragic mistakes” that killed civilians

The U.S. military commander-in-chief admitted that the U.S. military drone attack in Kabul last month was a “mistake” and targeted ISIS-K terrorists a few days after the suicide bombing at the city’s airport. It killed 10 civilians, including up to 7 children.

General Frank Mackenzie, commander of the United States Central Command, briefed reporters on the findings of the August 29 strike, saying: People who died in drone attacks were associated with ISIS-K Or it was a direct threat to the US military. “

However, strikes should be considered in the context of the ground conditions at Hamid Karzai International Airport after the ISIS-K attack, which killed 13 soldiers, sailors, marines, and more than 100 civilians. He also said that a significant amount of information indicated that another attack was imminent.

General Mackenzie said he was confident that as many as 10 civilians, including up to 7 children, were tragically killed in the drone strike by thoroughly examining the results of the investigation and supporting the analysis. rice field.

“That was a mistake, and I sincerely apologize. As a combatant commander, I am completely responsible for this strike and this tragic consequence,” he said at a Pentagon press conference. I told the group.

“Furthermore, we rate it unlikely that the vehicle and the dead were associated with ISIS-K or were a direct threat to the U.S. military. I say, this strike had a serious belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our troops and airport refugees, “he said.

Read also | Afghanistan killed by a drone praised by a colleague in a US aid group

General Mackenzie said 48 hours before the strike, confidential information indicated that the compound had been used by the ISIS-K planner to facilitate future attacks.

“Also, a significant number of reports showing multiple means of attack attempting to harm our army with rockets, suicide explosive vests, and vehicle-mounted improvised explosive devices simultaneously planned by ISIS-K. I received it, “he said.

“36 hours before the strike, airport and strike cell leaders received more than 60 different pieces of information related to imminent threats, including from UAVs flying all day over Kabul. There was something to support or contradict the observed event. ”A US Central Army commander was added.

One of the most recurring aspects of intelligence was that ISIS-K used the white Toyota Corolla as a key element of its next attack. He said thorough monitoring of the compound began on the morning of August 29, as the compound at Point 1 was the strongest lead in a series of imminent attacks.

Given a detailed explanation of the strike, General Mackenzie said the investigation now concludes that the strike was a tragic mistake.

Read also | Al Qaeda is likely to rebuild in Afghanistan and will attack the United States in a year or two: Report

“First, we emphasize that this was not a rush strike. The strike cell tracks and observes the vehicle and its occupants for eight hours and matches it with all available intelligence to create an imminent threat. Has developed a reasonable certainty. This vehicle has been raised to our army, “he said.

Initial reports showed a secondary explosion, but initial investigations may include the presence of external accelerators that may contain either explosives in the vehicle or ignition of the vehicle’s gas tank. I could only conclude.

Subsequent analysis could not rule out the presence of a small amount of explosives, but it was determined that the most likely cause was the ignition of gas from a propane tank just behind the car, Explained General Mackenzie.

“The team went on strike with the honest belief that they were preventing an imminent attack on our troops and civilian refugees, but now understand that it is wrong. I’m doing it, “he said.

“I am here today to correct the record and acknowledge our mistakes. In the same note of deep condolences to the family and friends of those who died in this tragic strike. I’ll finish my remarks, “added General Mackenzie. The United States is exploring the possibility of free payments.

See | Joe Biden defends Afghanistan’s exit: “The best wise decision for the United States”

Pentagon backtracks say Kabul drones make “tragic mistakes” that killed civilians

Source link Pentagon backtracks say Kabul drones make “tragic mistakes” that killed civilians

Related Articles

Back to top button