World

Lebanese judge indicts 68 people in a deadly clash in southern Beirut

During an anti-government protest in Beirut, Lebanon, December 15, 2019, protesters are standing near a burning tent. Reuters / Issam Abdullah.

Eighteen people have been detained, and the remaining 50 are still large, according to the National News Agency. No breakdown is given as to which group 68 belongs to.

  • Associated Press Beirut
  • Last updated:October 25, 2021 17:57 IST
  • follow us:

A Lebanese judge charged 68 people in this month’s deadly clash in Beirut, killing seven and injuring dozens, the state news agency reported Monday. The October 14 clash in southern Beirut was the worst battle in the capital in years and broke out during a Hezbollah-organized protest against a judge who led an investigation into the massive Beirut harbor explosion last year. ..

According to the National News Agency, Judge Faddy Akiki of the military court has charged 68 people with crimes such as murder, attempted murder, incitement to sectarian conflicts, unauthorized weapons and sabotage.

The battle lasted five hours between two powerful Shiite factions in Lebanon, Hezbollah and Amal, and armed groups believed to be supporters of the Christian Lebanese Forces. It happened on the line between Beirut Cha and the Ein El Lumane district. This is the same front line that divided the capital into war sections during the country’s civil war.

NNA said 18 people were detained and the remaining 50 were still large. No breakdown is given as to which group 68 belongs to.

Lebanese Forces leader Samir Jaaja said he would refuse questions from Akiki unless the judge first asked Hezbollah leader Saeed Hassan Nasrara.

Read all the latest news, latest news, coronavirus news here. Follow us on Facebook twitter And telegram.



Lebanese judge indicts 68 people in a deadly clash in southern Beirut

Source link Lebanese judge indicts 68 people in a deadly clash in southern Beirut

Related Articles

Back to top button