London: A former soccer coach who served 34 years in prison for a sexually abused boy said he abused them in the 1980s after eight men claimed damages against the Premier League club. Denied the connection with Manchester City.
Barry Bennell testified on Tuesday via a video link to the London High Court, telling the judge that he was not a city scout at the time he claimed the man had been abused. He also denied the abuse of four men.
Eight men, now in their 40s and 50s, accused Benell of abusing them while playing youth soccer on a team that coached North West England from 1979 to 1985. They claim that Benell, who became the crew’s coach in 1985, was a Scout for Citi during that time, and that Benell’s relationship with Citi was one of employment or similar to employment.
The city has denied that claim. According to the club, Benell was a local city scout in the mid-1970s, but was not a city scout from 1979 to 1985.
Benel was the first witness to be summoned by a lawyer representing the city at trial.
He said he was a local scout in the city from 1975 to 1979, but not from 1979 to 1985. But he said he was never a city coach in reality, and the junior team he coached had nothing to do with the city since 1978-1979.
Benell said he has always used and leveraged his former connection with Citi for his own benefit.
Eight men claim damages for psychiatric injuries. The six also claim damages for the potential loss of football income.
Benel, heard by the court, was convicted of sexually abusing the boy four times in the United Kingdom, once in the United States, and five times on separate occasions.
Benel will conclude his evidence on Wednesday.
Other Associated Press Soccer: https: //apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Read all the latest news, latest news, coronavirus news here.
Imprisoned youth coach denies Manchester Link in sexual abuse case
Source link Imprisoned youth coach denies Manchester Link in sexual abuse case