Health

Guinea declares end of Marburg virus outbreak, Health News, ET HealthWorld

Conakry: The deadly Marburg virus outbreak in Guinea has officially ended, health officials said Thursday, less than six weeks after the first case of West Africa’s disease was detected.

No further cases were identified by healthcare professionals monitoring 170 high-risk contacts of the first patient diagnosed after succumbing to highly infectious hemorrhagic fever.

It occurred just two months after the country was declared free from Ebola after a brief relapse that killed 12 people earlier this year.

Matshidiso Moeti, Director of Africa for the World Health Organization (WHO), said: ..

“Without immediate and decisive action, highly infectious diseases like Marburg can easily get out of hand,” she said in a statement.

Both the Marburg case and this year’s Ebola case were detected in the Gueckedou district of Guinea near the border between Liberia and Sierra Leone. The first cases of Ebola from 2014 to 2016 (the largest in history) were also from the same area of ​​the forest area in southeastern Guinea.

Since 1967, there have been 12 Marburg outbreaks, primarily in southern and eastern Africa. In past outbreaks, mortality rates fluctuated from 24% to 88%, depending on virus strain and case management, according to WHO.

Infection is caused by contact with infected body fluids and tissues. Symptoms include headache, hematemesis, muscle aches, and bleeding from various openings.



Guinea declares end of Marburg virus outbreak, Health News, ET HealthWorld

Source link Guinea declares end of Marburg virus outbreak, Health News, ET HealthWorld

Related Articles

Back to top button