Sports

Former NFL player pleads guilty to medical fraud program

Washington: Former NFL players Clinton Portis, Tamaric Banover and Robert McCune have pleaded guilty to their role in a national health fraud program and may face years of imprisonment, the U.S. Department of Justice said Tuesday. Announced in.

According to the Justice Department, Portis, Vanover, and McCune have admitted that they have stolen an NFL program set up to repay uninsured medical expenses for retired athletes and their families.

McCune may face life imprisonment after pleading guilty to transfer and medical fraud, 13 transfer fraud, 11 transfer fraud, and 3 wire fraud plots. He will be sentenced on November 19th.

The DOJ said McCune coordinated the plan, with approximately $ 2.9 million worth of false and fraudulent claims filed and $ 2.5 million paid between June 2017 and April 2018.

Portis and Banover each pleaded guilty to a plot to commit a medical fraud and could face up to 10 years in prison. According to court documents, Portis was liable for less than $ 100,000 and Banover was liable for less than $ 160,000 for the benefits of expensive medical equipment that was not provided.

They agreed to repay the money. Portis will rule on January 6th and Banover will rule on January 22nd.

An NFL spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The League established a Gene Upshaw NFL Player Health Compensation Account Plan after the 2006 Collective Bargaining Agreement, offering tax-exempt refunds of up to $ 350,000 per player for medical expenses.

Portis, Vanover, and McCune were originally charged in December 2019 in the eastern part of Kentucky. Previously, 12 other retired players, including former Chiefs and Saints receiver Joe Horn and long-time defensive back Carlos, were charged with conspiracy to attempt medical fraud and pleaded guilty. Rogers.

According to the Justice Department, the FBI investigated the case nationwide.

McCune, 42, was the fifth round draft topic of 2005, playing eight NFL games on linebackers in Washington and Baltimore.

Banover, 47, was taken to Kansas City in the third round of the 1995 draft and played 77 games with the Chiefs and Chargers receivers.

The 40-year-old Portis was selected in the second round of Broncos in 2002 and was awarded the AP Offense Blue Key of the Year that year. Running back played 113 games in Denver and Washington from 2002 to 2010.

___

Other APNFLs: https: //apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

Read all the latest news, latest news, coronavirus news here



Former NFL player pleads guilty to medical fraud program

Source link Former NFL player pleads guilty to medical fraud program

Related Articles

Back to top button